Principles of Nutrition
Colgan Institute Supplement Packs and Programs are based on the following principles:
1. Synergy: Synergy of nutrients is the first principle of nutrition. In your body, nutrients operate only by multiple interactions with each other. There is never a deficiency of just one nutrient. there is never any nutrient activity by itself. It is the multiple interactions of nutrients that is the basis of their biological function.
2. Biochemical Individuality: Because of genetic variations, individual bodies are biochemically different from each other. Just as everyone is different on the outside we are also very different on the inside.
3. Lifestyle Dynamics: Your lifestyle and environment radically affect your nutrient needs. Nutritional requirements vary with age, sex, diet, smoking, pollution, alcohol, medication, occupation, where you live, etc, etc.
4. Physiological Dynamics: Unlike drugs, nutrients do not have rapid effects. The business of nutrition is to build a better body. That has to wait on Nature to turn over body cells. When you improve your nutrition, you have to wait on the physiological dynamics of the body to grow new improved cells to replace the old cells. The minimum time for this is three months.
5. Evolutionary Dynamics: Unlike man-made drugs, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients are not foreign to the body. They are the essential components used during evolution to develop the human organism. They are parts of food that we have extracted and put into pill or capsule form. Nutrients work with your body to make you healthier.
For more information on the above principles read Dr. Colgan's "Nutrition for Champions".